Sunday, November 23, 2008

Holy Crap

This past week was the week from hell. It was the beginning of a normal work week. I was working hard all morning trying to make sales. Like clock work I went out to lunch with my good friend and boss Jerry. We spent our lunch break talking shop and how to make things better for the company. Everything was normal until 3:30 pm hit. The owner of the company walked into Jerry's office and fired him right on the spot. There was a lot of crying and screaming but it wasn't coming from Jerry, it was coming from the owner. About a half our later the owner walks into my office and tells me that he is reorganizing the company and wants me to be the person who oversees everything. I was blown away. I couldn't even udder a word. How can you fire Jerry? He is a really good man. Nothing made sense to me for the rest of the day. That night I didn't sleep a wink. I couldn't believe what just happened. I have always wanted the managers position, I've know that I could do a way better job than Jerry, but I never wanted to get the job if it meant hurting Jerry. After all he is my friend.
Tuesday came around and I met with the owner of the company for an early breakfast and he basically gave me my job description and told me to make good things happen. I was very tired, sad and excited all at the same time. I wasn't sure where to start or even what to do. I have only done sales for this company and now I have to manage it. Tuesday was a day that started with a meeting and ended with about six other meetings. I really didn't get anything done.
Wednesday through Friday I found myself only getting a few hours of sleep each night. Which made going into a new position even harder. Eventually I started to find my way around the company. Everyone welcomed me with open arms and they were all excited that I was managing. I put together a to-do list of about ten pages long and I am happy to say that after my first week as manager I got through my first half page. Holy crap there is so much to do.
I am very excited about the opportunity and I hope I am able to live up to the expectations of the owner of the company. He has set the bar very high for me. But, without a doubt I know I am up for the challenge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.